If you wish to charge your battery bank with shore power (the grid), you will need a dedicated battery charger. Some RV's and conversion vans will have this built into the converter box. If you do not have one, you will need to install one. If you are using AGM sealed batteries or a drop-in replacement battery such as the Battle Born, you will need to ensure that the charger you use will not charge higher than 14.4-14.6 volts. Below are chargers that you can use with both AGM sealed batteries AND LiFePO4 (battleborns etc)
My favorite12V/24V 75/37A Battery Charger
(Currently my bench charger)
I did not expect this charger to work so well, but I love it! Unlike the progressive dynamics charger below, you can limit the current to whatever you wish. You can safely charge 12V and 24V, lead acid and lithium batteries.
It is also very small and lightweight! And much cheaper than other chargers. I have two, and I use them everyday.
Click here to purchase on amazon
Another great option: Progressive Dynamics Line up
(Costs more than the AIMS, but it is a solid unit)
Progressive Dynamics 9100 Series Electronic Power Converters have several features that differ from other electronic power converters presently marketed to the RV industry. Reliability data over the past eight years on over 400,000 units in the field have proven that these design features increase our reliability and provide the following benefits:
- ELECTRONIC CURRENT LIMITING – This safety feature will rapidly reduce the converter output in case of an electrical short or overload condition. This rapid shutdown like the circuit breaker in your house prevents possible RV wiring and converter damage.
- VARIABLE SPEED INTELLIGENT COOLING FAN – Solid state temperature sensing and control system automatically monitors converter temperature and activates the fan at speed required. Very slow, quiet speeds are used when demand is low, such as during sleeping hours. Some competitive converters use Electro-mechanical devices to provide temperature sensing and fan control. Electro-mechanical sensors are more subject to failure and may stick in the closed mode causing the fan to operate all the time, resulting in an irritating noise. They can also fail to close during high temperature conditions and prevent the fan from operating. This failure may cause over heating and possible converter failure.
- AUTOMATIC THERMAL PROTECTION – This safety feature will reduce converter output in the unlikely event of a fan failure and prevent damage to the converter. This safety feature will also activate if the area where the converter is mounted is too small, has inadequate ventilation, or is accidentally covered by the customer. Please refer to the installation instructions for information regarding spacing and ventilation requirements.
- LOW VOLTAGE OPERATION – The Progressive Dynamics 9100 Series Converters will operate at low AC line voltages without damage. This feature is especially important in RV campgrounds where AC line voltage can be as low as 90 volts. Low AC line voltages may damage competitive converters.
- HIGH VOLTAGE PROTECTION – All converters incorporate our patented High Voltage Shutdown circuitry. This feature automatically shuts the converter down to protect sensitive electronics in the event of high voltage transients on the AC power line, or if the RV generator regulator should momentarily fail.
- REVERSE BATTERY PROTECTION – Our patented Reverse Battery circuitry prevents converter damage and unnecessary warranty calls in the event the customer or dealer accidentally connects the battery in reverse. Simple replacement of the fuse(s) located on the front of the converter restores the unit to normal operation. Some competitive converters can be damaged and require replacement if the battery leads are accidentally reversed.
- TOTAL CHARGE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (TCMS) – All PD9100 Series Power Converters incorporate a TCMS connector port located on the front of the converter to allow for the installation of the optional Charge Wizard.
(I Make A Commission For Purchases Made Through The Links Below)
Progressive Dynamics 12V 30-amp
Progressive Dynamics 12V 45-amp
Progressive Dynamics 12V 60-amp
Progressive Dynamics 12V 80-amp